"Cannot find file system superblock" error - how to recover?

Scott I. Remick scott at sremick.net
Mon Jan 12 21:36:13 PST 2004

--- Sergey 'DoubleF' Zaharchenko <doublef at tele-kom.ru> wrote:
> I mean trying to mount it, to fsck it, using dd|hd to find the
> superblock, etc. I just want to be *really* sure we know what
> we are doing.

Well, I don't have experience making bootable FreeBSD floppies... it might
be more useful for me to grab a small spare HDD and install 4.9 on it.
Should I do that and get back to you once I'm ready?

> While we are on that, do you have an empty disk to copy this disk's
> contents to? I'm not sure, but maybe I have an idea...

I could probably come up with something. Would it have to be installed in
the machine, or just available on the network? Unfortunately I don't
remember how much data was used on that drive so I don't know what my goal
is. :(