(Yet Another) Home Networking Question

Rishi Chopra rchopra at cal.berkeley.edu
Mon Jan 12 18:19:30 PST 2004

Perhaps someone can help me with this small part of rc.firewall:

[Ss][Ii][Mm][Pp][Ll][Ee])
        ############
        # This is a prototype setup for a simple firewall.  Configure this
        # machine as a named server and ntp server, and point all the
machines
        # on the inside at this machine for those services.
        ############

        # set these to your outside interface network and netmask and ip
        oif="ed0"
        onet="192.0.2.0"
        omask="255.255.255.0"
        oip="192.0.2.1"

        # set these to your inside interface network and netmask and ip
        iif="ed1"
        inet="192.0.2.1"
        imask="255.255.255.0"
        iip="192.0.2.17"

I'm curious about the difference between 'inet' and 'iip', what each one
stands for, and how to configure 'onet/oip' if the outside interface
network is configured via DHCP.

I'm also curious about this little snippet (under the 'simple' profile):

        # Everything else is denied by default, unless the
        # IPFIREWALL_DEFAULT_TO_ACCEPT option is set in your kernel
        # config file.

What happens if this option is set in my kernel config file?  Can I
safely comment out this line and use the 'simple' profile without
affecting natd?

Subhro wrote:

>Hi Rishi,
>
>You have to forward the ports required by WinVNC on the FreeBSD Gateway.
>Have you compiled IPDIVERT in your kernel? Read the ipfw manpages to find
>out how to forward ports.
>
>Regards
>Subhro
>
>Subhro Sankha Kar
>Indian Institute of Information Technology
>Block AQ-13/1, Sector V
>Salt Lake City
>PIN 700091
>India

>>> natd_interface="rl0" ### public interface connected to cable modem
>>> gateway_enable="YES"
>>> defaultrouter="192.168.0.1" ###  LAN machines use this
>>> ifconfig_rl0="DHCP"  ### Astound uses dhcp
>>> ifconfig_rl1="inet 192.168.0.1 netmask 255.255.255.0" ### use for LAN