Promise Fastrak ATA RAID 1 mirror lost

Harald Schmalzbauer h at schmalzbauer.de
Mon Jan 12 16:33:50 PST 2004

On Monday 12 January 2004 22:32, Michael wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have an intel motherboard with an onboard Promise Fastrak ATA RAID.
> This morning it reported that the mirror was lost and I would like to
> rebuild it.
>
> My system is FreeBSD 4.8-RELEASE-p10. This is what's reported from
> `atacontrol list`:
> ATA channel 0:
>      Master: acd0 <CD-540E/1.0A> ATA/ATAPI rev 0
>      Slave:       no device present
> ATA channel 1:
>      Master:      no device present
>      Slave:       no device present
> ATA channel 2:
>      Master:  ad4 <ST380021A/3.19> ATA/ATAPI rev 5
>      Slave:       no device present
> ATA channel 3:
>      Master:  ad6 <ST380021A/3.19> ATA/ATAPI rev 5
>      Slave:       no device present
>
> The kernel message that I saw in my daily report was this:
> ad6: hard error reading fsbn 140018943 of 0-127 (ad6 bn 140018943; cn
> 138907 tn
> 10 sn 57) trying PIO mode
> ad6: DMA problem fallback to PIO mode
> ad6: DMA problem fallback to PIO mode
> ad6: DMA problem fallback to PIO mode
> ad6: DMA problem fallback to PIO mode
> ad6: hard error reading fsbn 140019007 of 0-127 (ad6 bn 140019007; cn
> 138907 tn
> 11 sn 58) status=59 error=00
> ar0: WARNING - mirror lost
>
> Which is confirmed by the output of `atacontrol status ar0`:
> ar0: ATA RAID1 subdisks: ad4 ad6 status: DEGRADED
>
> So I looked at the handbook
> (<http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/raid.html>)
> and in section 12.4.3 it suggests that I detach, attach and then
> rebuild the array. Can I do this on a running system or do I first need
> to drop to single user mode? If I do that, how do that without
> rebooting? Does anyone have any experience with this?

Like you found in the handbook, atacontrol is what you need and yes, you can
do it without rebooting or droping into singleuser (if the drive hadn't
really failed but only had a "bad day" like trash on the bus which I
regularly have)

> The other option seems to be to reboot the computer and use the Fastrak
> firmware to rebuild the array.

Last time I tried that it didn't work for SIL0680 nor HPT372, but I don't know
about the promise.
Give the handbook procedure a try!

-Harry