Partitioning

Heine Aarbø heine at mittlille.net
Mon Jan 12 16:33:44 PST 2004

On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 17:50:45 -0600, Teilhard Knight <teilhk at hotpost.co.uk>
wrote:

> I am trying to install FreeBSD 5.1. I have created by means other than
> the
> installation program, a partitioning of my disk (160 Gig), and I want to
> install on one of those partitions. I have three primary partitions and
> one
> extended where I have installed Linux in one logical partition. I want
> FreeBSD to go in another logical partition. When I installed 4.7 in
> another
> computer, I had no problems whatsoever. But with 5.1 the partitioning
> utility only sees the primary partitions, the first three and the
> extended
> one as a whole. It sees the extended partition as one partition without
> the
> logical ones created there. Apparently I must have the partition for
> FreeBSD
> as FAT, but other tools do not help me because the partition is too
> large to
> be FAT.

For some reason the max size of a FAT partition on FreeBSD is limited to
137Gig.

If you want a dualboot linux/FreeBSD (and windows) and have a shared area
for all of them I would recomend you to make gaps for the OS you chose to
install last (abaut 10 gig is suitable for most OS'es) and make a comon
FAT partition on the end of the disk for archive(fat)

Heine Aarbø                                          heine at mittlille.net