diskless clients

rwong10 rwong10 at cs.mcgill.ca
Mon Jan 12 01:41:14 PST 2004

Hi

I am experimenting with setting up a freebsd server to boot diskless
clients.  I am currently running 4.8R.  I've followed the instructions
found in the handbook and augmented that with the comments found in
/usr/share/examples/diskless/clone_root.

My problem is with the cloned root filesystem.  It does not appear that
the /conf/* directories are overriding the contents found in
/diskless_root/etc.  What happens is, I boot up via etherboot, the kernel
downloads and loads up successfully.  When it comes time to process the
information in /etc, it is actually reading the cloned config files from
the server.  In particular, fstab...I have a modified fstab in
/conf/default/etc yet the cloned fstab is still being read.

Can anyone who has had experience setting up diskless clients offer some
suggestions?

thanks
robin