sendmail aliases not worked as expected

mgmcomm at hotmail.com mgmcomm at hotmail.com
Sun Jan 11 21:43:04 PST 2004

>On Sun, Jan 11, 2004 at 03:50:03PM +0000, mgmcomm @hotmail.com wrote:
>
> > When a cron or periodic task creates an email to say root...it gets
>mailed
> > to root at host.domain.com instead of root at domain.com.  Which results in an
> > error message
>
>That's by design, believe it or not.  'root' is a member of class E --
>Exposed Users -- whose e-mail addresses won't be rewritten by
>genericstable processing or the like.

Well I used to be able to do this.  Is this a 5.x design?
How might I be able to get it to work the way it used to?

This behavior doesn't seem limited to root.  but to kib and virtualuser as
well.  I can only assume hat it applies to any alias or real user.

> > Jan  7 03:03:01 butters sm-mta[1511]: i07331me001498: SYSERR(root):
> > butters.kibserv.org. config error: mail loops back to me (MX problem?)
>
>On your mail host, you need to add the names of all of the hosts you
>provide mail service for to the /etc/mail/local-host-names file, one
>per line.

My mail host is qmail/vpopmail.  Actually its Matt Simerson's mail toaster
at http://matt.simerson.net.  My local-host-names is actually a mysql table
and considering the number of machines involved this is going to be a
difficult task to maintain unless I can find a way to use some sort of
globing (*.domain.com or such).  Although this problem is for the toaster
mailing list to assist me on if it comes down to that.

This mail host is set to accept all mail for kibserv.org and example.com.
Both are test domains.  It seems to receive mail just fine when it gets
postmaster at kibserv.com but not say postmaster at host.kibserv.org.  Actually I
don't even think user at host.domain.com ever gets to the mail host...if I dig
for mx records on host.domain.com it comes up with no answer and the default
for sendmail it to send mail directly (basically to localhost) when no mx is
found.  So I suppose a work around would be to add an mx record for every
host but that doesn't seem like a clean solution to the problem.

> > ;; ANSWER SECTION:
> > kibserv.org.		1H IN MX	10 mail.kibserv.org.
>
> > ;; ANSWER SECTION:
> > mail.kibserv.org.	1H IN CNAME	stan.kibserv.org.
> > stan.kibserv.org.	1H IN A		10.0.0.8
>
>Not relevant to your current problem, but you've got your MX pointed
>to a CNAME.  That's bad karma and not permitted by the DNS standards.
>You should make mail.kibserv.org into an A record like so:
>
>mail.kibserv.org.	1H IN A	10.0.0.8
>stan.kibserv.org.	1H IN A	10.0.0.8
>
>and similarly, provide PTR records for both names:
>
>$ORIGIN 0.0.10.in-addr.arpa.
>
>8	1H	IN	PTR	mail.kibserv.org.
>			PTR	stan.kibserv.org.

Good point.  I will reconfigure as you suggest.  The cname mail.kibserv.org
is mainly useful for getting web mail users to the proper place.

Thanks
Jason Cribbins