Best practices - USB 2.0 PCI card and gigabit ethernet PCI card for FreeBSD 4.9

Joe Schmoe non_secure at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 11 19:40:24 PST 2004

I am running freebsd 4.9 and want to add:

- a USB 2.0 PCI card

and

- a gigabit ethernet (copper - cat-5 wiring) PCI card

What is the best and best supported choices for each
of these ? I am happy to blindly follow whatever
suggestion for the USB 2.0 card, however for the
gigabit card I have had great luck on the 100meg side
of thigns with the Intel etherexpress pro (fxp) cards,
so if there is a well supported Intel card, that would
be best, I guess.

But then again, if there is a non intel gigabit card
that is the clear leader in freebsd support, I would
like to know it

thanks