X problems

Chris Pressey cpressey at catseye.mine.nu
Sun Jan 11 09:22:58 PST 2004

On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 09:36:39 -0700 (MST)
"Lance Earl" <lance at dallypost.com> wrote:

> The Monitor section of XF86Config includes
>  Identifier   "Monitor0"
>  VendorName   "Monitor Vendor"
>  Model Name   "Monitor Model"
>  HorizSync    31.0 -70.0
>  VertRefresh  55.0 - 120.0

If your aim is simply to get a stable display (at the expense of video
quality,) you could try more conservative values for these.  I have the
following in my XF86Config:

  HorizSync	31.5 - 35.1
  VertRefresh	50.0 - 70.0

This lets me get 16-bit colour at 800x600 resolution, which is all I
need.  If you want higher resolutions, you can start from there and
gradually increase the values until you get a range which is large
enough to support more colours and/or pixels, but not so large that it
lets your display go all woobly.

> My Monitor is a NEC FE700+ so these settings seem to be correct. I see
> taht the refresh rates are not in quotes like the other items, is this
> correct?

Correct, they do not need quotes.

> I forgot to mention that during install, after running the xconfig
> setup and saving the files, it said that the setup appeared to have
> failed and gave me a chance to try again. I tried several times but
> with the same result.

I get this all the time too.  I think it might be a bug in the install
process, actually...

-Chris