Download contents of http directory?

Lucas Holt luke at foolishgames.com
Sun Jan 11 08:05:39 PST 2004

If the admin does allow downloading, you will simply see the list by
typing the path to the directory in the url you wish to look at.

For example,  lets say that you have a directory /music/ .  If the
webserver has directory listings on, you can simply type
http://www.mydomain.com/music/ and it will automatically generate a
list of all the files and return it to the viewer as an html page with
hyperlinks.  This behavior exists in most webservers including apache
and IIS.  Personally, I always turn it off.  If i want someone to
access a file, i give them a link to it.  Apache has a directive in the
config file for this.

For the other question about downloading mp3's:

I'm a bit unclear.  Are the mp3's turned into real audio files or
streamed by a real audio server?  Is it just that your computer is
using real player to play the files that are in fact mp3s?

If the files are streamed by a real server, you will need a program to
get them easily that can talk the protocol and collect the stream.  If
the files are somewhat hidden on the webserver, you will need the url
to download them.  If its just real player that is playing them, look
at the html source for the page list and paste the link into a
terminal.. fetch or wget should be able to grab them.  If you are
clicking on a link and then real player is spawning, you might be able
to right click on the link and hit "save target as..." to save the
original file.  That would also work to get a real player playlist to
get the real url of the files provided the person used an old version
of real player.  RAM files are usually text files that contain a url to
a file.  Give real player that file, and it will stream the file.  I
used to use that trick on one of my sites.

Lucas Holt
Luke at FoolishGames.com
FoolishGames.com  (Jewel Fan Site)
JustJournal.com (Free blogging)

'Re-implementing what I designed in 1979 is not interesting to me
personally. For kids who are 20 years younger than me, Linux is a great
way to cut your teeth. It's a cultural phenomenon and a business
phenomenon. Mac OS X is a rock-solid system that's beautifully
designed. I much prefer it to Linux.'
-- Bill Joy, Wired Article 2003