(Yet Another) Home Networking Question

Rishi Chopra rchopra at cal.berkeley.edu
Sun Jan 11 00:12:58 PST 2004

I was able to get my network up and running with the suggestions below.
To review, my setup is the following:

ISP         FreeBSD Gateway         Win2k Box

 >----------rl0--------------rl1-------------------<
ALL         DHCP  192.168.0.1       192.168.0.2

rl0 is connected to the modem by ethernet and set for DHCP, the ISP's
method of address asignment. rl1 is the second NIC in the BSD box, and
is connected by crossover cable to the Win2k box. FreeBSD box and Win2k
box can successfully ping each other, and both FreeBSD box and Win2k
have working internet access.  Everything is running A-OK.

If I wish to host WinVNC on the Win2k box, do I need to make any changes
to the Gateway?  Specifically, WinVNC requires the Win2k box to be
listening on 5800 and 5900; I have opened these ports (and these ports
only) on the Win2k box.  Do I need to change rc.conf or any other files
on the gateway to specify that all incoming connections on 5800 and 5900
be forwarded from rl0 to rl1?  Am I gonna have to step up to IPFW (yuck!) ??

Thanks,
Rishi