partition not freeing it's space after deleting files from it

Simon Žekar simon.zekar at literal.si
Sat Jan 10 10:57:10 PST 2004

Yes, looks like reboot does not cleanly unmount the filesystems so the
fsck is run on boot. The strange thing is if I stoped all the daemons
and tried to unmount /var, the machine freezes.

This part is also strange:
I've started to move /var things to /usr, just because I didn't know
what to do more. I've moved /var/log to /usr ... then I've moved postfix
spool to /usr and discovered that now, /usr is not freeing it's space
any more and /var is begining to free it's space if i create and delete
something from it.

Strange... I've upgraded postfix from 2.0.13 to 2.0.16 and now the disks
are freeing space for 3 days now. It's early to say that fixed the
problem but at this time it looks like it.

Don't ask how, i don't get it, can not find any connection between
postfix and this problem.

Does this make a bell ring to anyone ? :-)