New to FreeBSD 4.9 questions about configuration

Larry Hammer larrykh465 at SoftHome.net
Fri Jan 9 12:59:57 PST 2004

Hello,
I hav installed FreeBSD 4.9 on my desktop,
ECS K7S5A, AMD T-Bird 900 mhz cpu, 128 m of ddr
30g western digital ide h/d ide buss 0 master
"compaq" generic  cdrom ide buss 0 slave
generic floppy, zip ide not phsyicly hooked back up yet, when it was it worked

I tried 5.1 but the floppy wouldn't wouldn't work with acpi on and alot of
other stuff didn't work when I turned acpi off and though the floppy did, it
still only did it half way.
was getting the same thing other people reported when I looked into it.

I have rebuilt the kernal to include  USR_LDT, and disabled alot of drivers
that I didn't need, including raid and scsi, except the two scsi that I found
out the hard way need to be there to compile usb mass storage support ect and
left everything that I had no clue what it was alone. it works well.

I changed /etc/ttys ie.
#ttyv8	"/usr/X11R6/bin/xdm -nodaemon"	xterm	off secure
ttyv8	"/usr/local/bin/kdm"		xterm	on  secure

	  sysctl.conf
	 # $FreeBSD: src/etc/sysctl.conf,v 1.1.2.3 2002/04/15 00:44:13 dougb Exp $
	#
	#  This file is read when going to multi-user and its contents piped thru
	#  ``sysctl'' to adjust kernel values.  ``man 5 sysctl.conf'' for details.
	#
	vfs.usermount=1

	chmod for floppy and cdrom
	added thier entries into fstab
	created mnt/cdrom and mnt/floppy dirs off of the user home directores

it woks as expected but with respect to the /etc/ttys  right before X starts I
am getting a message refering to abnormal helper termination error code 0
it doesn't seem to be hurting antthing, can I fix it?

also,

Errors from xkbcomp are not fatal to the X server
The XKEYBOARD keymap compiler (xkbcomp) reports:
> Error:            No Symbols named "us" in the include file "pc/us"
>                   Exiting
>                   Abandoning symbols file "default"
Errors from xkbcomp are not fatal to the X server

My keyboard is working great as far as I can tell.

---------...~~~~~...---------- snip
(II) Module ddc: vendor="The XFree86 Project"
	ABI class: XFree86 Video Driver, version 0.6
(II) Loading sub module "ddc"
(II) LoadModule: "ddc"
(II) Reloading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/libddc.a
(II) S3VIRGE(0): VESA VBE DDC supported
(II) S3VIRGE(0): VESA VBE DDC Level none
(II) S3VIRGE(0): VESA VBE DDC transfer in appr. 0 sec.
(II) S3VIRGE(0): VESA VBE DDC read failed
(--) S3VIRGE(0): No DDC signal

the video seems to be working fine except that I was getting bad glx stuff for
display 0, 0 I fixed that by uncommenting the load GLX in XFree86Config
I also uncommented the DRI option and divice option for pci_burst
after recommenting the DRI mode "666" at the very bottem of the config file
via " ee " I was able to get X back online and  play some games that I
couldn't before  but vidio for Tux Racer is way way to slow. I also have
added the Zaxis and buttons = 5 to get the weel on my mouse going as per FAQ
sheet, it works well.
do I have somthing wrong in the config? or is it just the fact this is an old
slow pci vidio card? I am getting a new one soon, and I dont play games very
much my kid cant wait!! just the thought of a panguin sled race 8>)!!

when I log out and the screen resets right befor kdm kicks in I am getting
reapeted  scedualling over run messages from the usb ports
I reconfigured the kernal to disable uhci my machine has ohci, it seems to be
better but still doing it, how do I fix this? do I need to set a flag of some
sort if so where do I find the man/doc sheet for the usb flag options.

on Bootup,
Mounting root from ufs:/dev/ad0s2a
ad0s2a: UDMA ICRC error writing fsbn 42387790 of 4160-4163 (ad0s2 bn 42387790;
cn 2638 tn 132 sn 4) retrying
ad0s2a: UDMA ICRC error writing fsbn 42387790 of 4160-4163 (ad0s2 bn 42387790;
cn 2638 tn 132 sn 4) retrying
ad0s2a: UDMA ICRC error writing fsbn 42387790 of 4160-4163 (ad0s2 bn 42387790;
cn 2638 tn 132 sn 4) retrying
ad0s2a: UDMA ICRC error writing fsbn 42379502 of 16-19 (ad0s2 bn 42379502; cn
2638 tn 0 sn 32) retrying
ad0s2a: UDMA ICRC error writing fsbn 42379502 of 16-19 (ad0s2 bn 42379502; cn
2638 tn 0 sn 32) retrying
ad0s2a: UDMA ICRC error writing fsbn 42379502 of 16-19 (ad0s2 bn 42379502; cn
2638 tn 0 sn 32) retrying
ad0s2a: UDMA ICRC error writing fsbn 42379502 of 16-19 (ad0s2 bn 42379502; cn
2638 tn 0 sn 32) falling back to PIO mode
in bois the hard drives pio mode is set to auto I have the options of auto,and
pio mode 1-5, I have tried to play with this abit but no diference
how do I either make the hard drive work with the udma mode or configure the
kernal to stay at pio mode in the first place?

the last thing I am wondering is how to make the cdrom and floppy umount
automaticly via a script on logout from a session both my daughter and I
always forget to unmount them before we log out then we cant unmount the
other's, but I dont understand how the logout and permissions work ie when
control tranfers from user to root, and what scripts get called between the
user logging out from a window manager ie. KDE, gnome  and the login screen
comming up. but I would like to put the umount commands for user mounted
devices in there somwhere. so that when a user logs off the next user comes
up with a fresh mounting enviroment. not the last user's  old one.

as it stands right now I have KDE on FreeBSD 4.9, gnome2, OOo1.1 and alot of
other stuff  installed I did a full port upgrade via portupgrade --all (I
definatly need to learn how to use that CVup stuff) and the xitami web
servere being started via rc.local(the old way of doing things according to
rc.conf?) it works on start up but I need to shut it down properly on reboot
and shutdown.
with the exception of the issues above and I stiil need to set up the printer
"Apollo p-2600"  havnt even tried yet.
 it is running perfectly as a multi-user desktop system. I am very happy
to the point as soon as the printer is hooked up and running I will be able to
clear out the partition that the other operating system is on and make room
to try out 5.2 when it comes out :>) to see if the floppy issue is fixed my
daughter needs that thing to transfer school work, in her computer class.
and last but not least cdburner software when I had linux going.but gave up
trying to keep up with it,   I had K3B
who do I beg to  port  this??
and my daughter wants to know if it is ok to distribute the wallpaper she put
together of the blue haired KDE gal, being smiled at by the FreeBSD devil,
with a jellious penguin in the background

Thanks in advance,
Larry