smblog format?

Matt Staroscik matt at wrongcrowd.com
Thu Jan 8 12:16:09 PST 2004

When I connect my PocketPC to my Samba server, the device has a very
strange name in smblog:

netbios connect: local=server remote=_cerdrc9cb8005
_cerdrc9cb8005 (192.168.1.94) connect to service Music as user USER
(uid=xxxx, gid=xxxx) (pid 44909)

"_cerdrc9cb8005" is just an example, the exact string changes. My
other samba clients have "normal" names in the log.

Where is Samba getting this string from? Is this something the client
specifies, or something that Samba is cooking up itself in the absence
of a client-provided string?

I have put a hostname for the device's IP in /etc/hosts, btw.

I am just hoping this is not some silly Microsoft-ism infesting the
PocketPC's network stack... if it is Unix-side I'm sure it's fixable!

TIA!

matt at wrongcrowd.com