Question about Cyrus IMAP

Ed Budd ebudd at grokking.org
Thu Jan 8 06:25:36 PST 2004

Cyrus-imapd is somewhat unique in that it uses its own database for
mail. This means you don't need local user accounts. However, it does
take more work to set up.

If you've already successfully installed cyrus-imapd (and all its
dependencies) from the ports collection, you need to:

cd /usr/local/share/docs/cyrus

then read the .html docs starting with install.html. Follow the
directions for setting up the proper directories under /var and
configuring and testing authentication. THEN you can create cyrus
mailboxes using the cyradm tool and configure your MTA (sendmail or
otherwise) to delivery to cyrus' database.

As much as I like cyrus personally, it is a fair amount of work if all
you want is a pop3 server. Maybe consider qoppper or something else
unless you really want/need cyrus.

EB