Plan 9 style backup utility for FreeBSD?

Martin Brecher listuser at mb-itconsulting.com
Wed Jan 7 06:08:30 PST 2004

Scott Mitchell wrote:
[...]
>>Is there some standard tool for doing this on FreeBSD?  You can't just
>>do a direct copy cause this results in major disk space wastage so I'm
>>imagining you need to use hard links or something to keep the size down.
>

> Check out rsync and the "--link-dest=DIR" option.  This will hardlink
> unchanged files to the previous copy in the link-dest directory, rather
> than copying the data again.

I just saw a project named rsnapshot on freshmeat.net:

	rsnapshot is a filesystem snapshot utility based on rsync. It
	makes it easy to make periodic snapshots of local machines, and
	remote machines over ssh. It uses hard links whenever possible,
	to greatly reduce the disk space required.

Homepage is <http://www.rsnapshot.org/>. Does not seem to be in the
ports collection, though.

Greetings,
Martin