RCS

Scott W wegster at mindcore.net
Tue Jan 6 19:22:11 PST 2004

Shawn Guillemette wrote:

>Once apon a time I worked for a company that had used somthing called "RCS" to protect files from being writen to by more then one user at the same time.
>

>Im now in a situation where that would become helpful. I have read the man pages on RCS and looked for documantation on the web including the FreeBSD diary site and wanted to post to you all to see if anyone had any links to some good documentation on this. Even how-to's would be great.
>
>Thanks
>
>Shawn

It's old, it's not up to date, but neither is RCS ;-)
http://www.bookpool.com/.x/rxmsgjmgri/sm/1565921178

RCS is fine for dealing with 1-2 people accessing files, but if you're
thinking of using it for a larger project with network support, you may
really want to look at something like CVS (free) or Perforce (current
favorite commercial SCM)....

There really isn't a significant amount involved in RCS.  man ci, co,
rcs and understand branching.  Add a few more people and then wait until
you wind up wrapping all of the rcs commands in shell scripts....

Scott