What should I install?

Eric F Crist ecrist at adtechintegrated.com
Mon Jan 5 21:57:32 PST 2004

On Monday 05 January 2004 11:34 pm, Teilhard Knight wrote:
> I have running FreeBSD 4.7 in one computer and version 5.0 "was not for
> newbies". I see now, version 4.9 is out, but version 5.1 is too. In the
> official FreeBSD web page, they recommend to install 5.1.
>
> Now, I haven't grown up from the newbie category, so the question is:
> Should I install 5.2 or 4.9, perhaps 4.8, in another computer?
>
> Teilhard Knight
> The Extraterrestrial
>
> Change "privacy" for "softhome" if you want to intrude my inbox

I would recommend you download and install 5.1 if you can.  The upgrade from
4.x to 5.x is nearly impossible and you're better off doing a fresh install.
I've been using 5.x for quite a while now, even on a production web server
with little problems.  There's also better hardware support.  Expect to see a
few bugs, but they're getting taken care of pretty quickly.

HTH
--
Eric F Crist
AdTech Integrated Systems, Inc