"Cannot find file system superblock" error - how to recover?

Malcolm Kay malcolm.kay at internode.on.net
Mon Jan 5 18:59:33 PST 2004

On Tue, 6 Jan 2004 10:59, Scott I. Remick wrote:
> Sorry for the delay... holidays had me busy. Hopefully you're still around
> and interested in picking up where we left off. I think we're definitely
> onto something...

Looking back over some of your e-mails I find:
QUOTE
su-2.05b# disklabel -r /dev/ad6s1c
# /dev/ad6s1c:
8 partitions:
#        size   offset    fstype   [fsize bsize bps/cpg]
  c: 156344517       63    unused        0     0         # "raw" part, don't
edit
  e: 156344517       63    4.2BSD     2048 16384    89
partition c: partition extends past end of unit
disklabel: partition c doesn't start at 0!
disklabel: An incorrect partition c may cause problems for standard system
utilities
partition e: partition extends past end of unit

That doesn't look good.
ENDQUOTE

The 63 offset is spurious. I've seen this before somewhere but can't
remember the details -- i.e the value 63.

I wonder whether editing the label and setting both offsets to 0
might solve the problem. You could always make a copy of the existing label
and put it back if the changes don't help.

You could in addition check the size for the partitions against the size given by
fdisk for the slice.

Malcolm Kay