starting daemons at server start

Marty Landman MLandman at face2interface.com
Sun Jan 4 16:44:11 PST 2004

At 07:23 PM 1/4/2004, Lowell Gilbert wrote:

>I'm not an expert at Apache, exactly, but I can tell that you need to be
>more specific about the changes you're making, and why, before anybody can
>help you find a way to avoid doing that.

As I understand it, Apache provides a module called suexec to allow cgi's
to run as the user that owns the directory. Without suexec cgi's run as the
httpd owner which is typically a 'nobody' user with highly restricted
permissions. So to allow e.g. mypgm.cgi default permission to write to a
file in /mnt/web/guide/guido (user Guido's root) with a chmod of 644 Apache
must be recompiled with suexec enabled. I failed at my attempt to do this
and didn't want to keep plugging away so have just chmod'd my (local
intranet) root directories to 777. It's a lousy kluge but it does permit me
to keep working.

>A lot of workarounds tend to be just as much of a security concern as
>suexec is itself.

Not sure security's an issue on my intranet, but inevitably working
improperly will lead to improper results and security issues on the
production server.

Marty Landman   Face 2 Interface Inc 845-679-9387
Sign On Required: Web membership software for your site