starting daemons at server start

Jez Hancock jez.hancock at munk.nu
Sun Jan 4 12:14:33 PST 2004

On Sun, Jan 04, 2004 at 11:21:56AM -0800, Micke P wrote:

> Right! Ok, it's definitely not inetd that I need. I'm
> thinking primarily of starting apache and a dynamic ip
> updater automatically at startup.
Have a look for one of the dyndns update applications in the ports tree
(look in /usr/ports/dns/ especially - from experience ddclient worked
well for me:P).

After you install install the one you want, the port installation
should place a script in /usr/local/etc/rc.d that will start the
application when the machine boots.

Note however that for scripts in /usr/local/etc/rc.d to run at boot
time, they must:

- be executable (ie have the executable bit set - use chmod to do this)
- end in .sh (a lot of the time port installations will install scripts
  into /usr/local/etc/rc.d with the extension .sh.sample - you need to
  rename it to end in .sh before it will run on boot)

For more info on all of the above read up on the section on ports in the
freebsd handbook and the man pages for rc, ports, mv and chmod.

Good luck :P

--
Jez Hancock
 - System Administrator / PHP Developer