Mount /cdrom as non-root user - does this actually work for anyone?

Stacey Roberts stacey at vickiandstacey.com
Sat Jan 3 16:54:11 PST 2004

Hello,
    I've just realised that I am unable to mount a cdrom disk as a non-root user for *any* of my machines.

All hosts concerned are running FreeBSD-4.9Stable, and running through: http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.IS...SER-FLOPPYMOUNT does *not* work for me at all..,

Here's what I keep getting:
Checking groups to which the user belongs:
$ id stacey
uid=1001(stacey) gid=1001(stacey) groups=1001(stacey), 0(wheel), 5(operator)
~ $

Checking to see if the vfs.usermount sysctl parameter is set:
# sysctl -a | grep -i usermount
vfs.usermount: 1
#mount /cdrom
#ls /cdrom
acrobat ds.dll intel pcplus95.inf setup.exe
autorun.inf ds32.dll language pwrchute.ico setup16.exe
demo.dbd install.txt manuals readme.txt win95
#exit

As root I can mount and read the CD fine.., checking for non-root user:
exit
~ $ mount /cdrom
cd9660: /dev/acd0c: Operation not permitted
~ $ mount -t cd9660 /dev/acd0c ~/cdrom
cd9660: /dev/acd0c: Operation not permitted
~ $

Attempting to mount to mount-point in user home dir:
~ $ cd ~
~ $ pwd
/home/stacey
~ $ ls -ltra cdrom
total 6
drwxr-xr-x 2 stacey stacey 512 Jan 3 23:50 ./
drwxr-xr-x 31 stacey stacey 2560 Jan 3 23:50 ../
~ $ mount -t cd9660 /dev/acd0c ~/cdrom
cd9660: /dev/acd0c: Operation not permitted
~ $

This doesn't work either for me..,

Checking device in /etc/fstab:
~ $ cat /etc/fstab
# See the fstab(5) manual page for important information on automatic mounts
# of network filesystems before modifying this file.
#
# Device Mountpoint FStype Options Dump Pass#
/dev/ad0s1b none swap sw 0 0
/dev/ad1s1b none swap sw 0 0
/dev/ad0s1a / ufs rw 1 1
/dev/ad1s1e /home ufs rw 2 2
/dev/ad0s1f /usr ufs rw 2 2
/dev/ad0s1e /var ufs rw 2 2
/dev/acd0c /cdrom cd9660 ro,noauto 0 0
proc /proc procfs rw 0 0
~ $

Is there some step that I've neglected somewhere along the way? This is the same failure I see on all hosts.., doesn't matter which one..,

Regards,

Stacey
--
Stacey Roberts