starting apps in 5.2

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Sat Jan 3 13:30:47 PST 2004

On Sat, Jan 03, 2004 at 02:38:35PM -0600, J.D. Bronson wrote:

> I dont use ports..I only compile from src code...

You are aware that "using ports" is precisely "compiling from source
code"?  Ports is a system for automating all of the tedious bits of
compiling up software: it downloads the source, verifies it against an
MD5 checksum, unpacks it, applies patches as necessary, configures,
compiles and installs it. What's more, it automatically handles
installing all required dependencies, it keeps track of all of the
files that get installed (so you can painlessly de-install stuff later
on -- a very big win for a busy admin) and it has a bunch of handy
tools available that let you update what you already have installed as
new versions come out.

You can even tar up all of the files installed by a port (plus a few
administrative bits) in order to install them on a different machine.
That, however is called "creating a package", and installing pkgs is a
different thing entirely.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way