partition resizing help!!! PLZ

Lowell Gilbert freebsd-questions-local at be-well.ilk.org
Sat Jan 3 09:05:58 PST 2004

Rogue Spider <rogue_spider at yahoo.com> writes:

> when I installed freebsd I tried to resize the /dev
> partion bigger and It told me it was not possible even
> though I had 5GB of free space it only let me to use
> preset partition sizes:(
> So know my /dev partiotion is too small. and the OS
> is installed with KDE as GUI. and my /dev fills to
> compasity and fails every thing that dosna fit into
> it.
>
> Is there a way to resize the partions Now without
> having to reinstall from scratch.

You'll have to give more information.  /dev is on a devfs on FreeBSD
5.x, which means it doesn't take any real disk space to begin with.
On an earlier version, /dev has to be on the root filesystem (and will
take up less than 100 kilobytes).

--
Lowell Gilbert, embedded/networking software engineer, Boston area:
		resume/CV at http://be-well.ilk.org:8088/~lowell/resume/