memory use on 5.2RC2 i386

Lowell Gilbert freebsd-questions-local at be-well.ilk.org
Fri Jan 2 16:53:00 PST 2004

"J.D. Bronson" <jeff_bronson at wixb.com> writes:

> I have noticed that when building apps (via gcc for example) that my
> free RAM (seen via 'top') is diminishing down to almost nothing...

"Free RAM is wasted RAM."

> Is it going to buffer space?
>
> it looks like at this rate, I will start swapping soon...

I doubt it.  I'm sure the system keeps converting buffer and inactive
memory into free memory as it needs it.

> Any comments or any way to change this behavior?
>
> ..I dont remember this 'issue' on 4.9....

The FreeBSD virtual memory implementation has always tried to keep
memory full.  This is the subject of a very popular entry in the
FreeBSD Frequently Asked Questions list:
 http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/faq/misc.html#TOP-FREEMEM
--
Lowell Gilbert, embedded/networking software engineer, Boston area:
		resume/CV at http://be-well.ilk.org:8088/~lowell/resume/