Confused about sound servers

Trey Sizemore trey at fastmail.fm
Fri Jan 2 11:43:49 PST 2004

I run KDE, Gnome, and occasionally IceWM (although I haven't yet
installed this on my FreeBSD machine).  Coming from a linux background,
I'm a little confused about sound servers.  I have a SoundBlaster Live
Value PCI card on my machine running 5.2-CURRENT.

I have compiled my kernel with 'device PCM' and in my /boot/loader.conf
I have put

snd_pcm_load="YES"
snd_emu10k1_load="YES"

What sound server(s) is/are recommended to install.  I know that Gnome
typically uses ess, and KDE can use arts.  Should both of these be
installed to have sound in these environments?  How about others such as
Xfce and IceWM?

I want to enable system sounds as well as sound for XMMS and other
programs.  The card is recognized and showing up in dmesg.

I've read in another post that I don't need to run

# sh MAKEDEV snd0

in the /dev directory with FreeBSD 5.X series, is this true.

Right now I have no sound.

Thanks.