What do you use?

Francisco Reyes lists at natserv.com
Fri Jan 2 10:13:35 PST 2004

On Thu, 1 Jan 2004, Scott Mitchell wrote:

> There no particular reason for an ATA RAID to be slower than SCSI, assuming
> similar disks in each.  10krpm 'server class' ATA disks are available these
> days, although I don't know that anyone has done a 15krpm one yet.

That is the point. SCSI disks have historically outperformed IDE drives.
It is only in the last few years that the gap has started to narrow. I
also depends on the operation.

I have had really old SCSI drives outperform much newer IDE drives under
certain conditions. Specially where there is lots of random I/O at the
same time there is multi-user access patterns.

I think it really comes down to whether the user wants the absolute
performance (ie go with SCSI), or wants a better value for the money in
which case IDE would probably be the choice.