Single File Limit Size

Dan Nelson dnelson at allantgroup.com
Fri Jan 2 09:05:59 PST 2004

In the last episode (Jan 02), Vahric MUHTARYAN said:
> I'm using FreeBSD 4.9 with UFS file system support . I gave to
> question .  I saw that single file can only grow 2 GB How Can I grow
> it?  Does it tunable from Kernel or File System ?

FreeBSD 4 does not have a 2gb filesize limit.  I have created files up
to 50gb, and I'm sure other people have created larger ones.  If you
have a program that is having problems creating files over 2gb, the
program itself is probably at fault.

> Secound question is How can I change files system for example turn
> FreeBSD 4.9 UFS files system to UFS2 ? or Does it possible.

UFS2 is only available on FreeBSD 5, but unless you need a filesystem
larger than 1TB, you don't really need UFS2.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson at allantgroup.com