Grumpy 'xdm' won't take logins

John Mills johnmills at speakeasy.net
Fri Jan 2 06:17:11 PST 2004

Freebies -

I just finished a fairly lightweight ftp installation of 5.1-Release and
want to offer an X11 login screen. Basic XF86 seems to work fine. I
followed the 'Configuring xdm' instructions in Greg Lehey's
_Complete_FreeBSD_, ch.17, but didn't get quite all the way home.

I get the X11 login screen, mouse moves OK, but I never seem to focus the
username or password entry panels so that my keystrokes are seen. Neither
can I change to one of the other vt's (though I get 'bell' sounds on those
which should exist). The server seems to have gone both modal and deaf.

Suggestions appreciated.

TIA.

 - John Mills
   john.m.mills at alum.mit.edu