Jails for websites

Chris bsdnewbie at coolarrow.com
Fri Jan 2 05:29:48 PST 2004

5.1

I have a server with 5 public IP addresses, so I'm thinking I'll set it up with one IP for the server (as a host) and the other 4 assigned to 4 jails. The jails are for websites...

>From a security standpoint, wouldn't it be better to run four instances of ftpd (one in each jail), as opposed to one instance on the host server?

And from a security standpoint, should I run apache from the host server, where I can configure mod_security the way I want, or just run individual apaches inside each jail and let the website owners configure it the way they want?

I like the idea of running things inside the jail, and recognize that if the webmaster of the site configures it wrong, it's their problem not mine, but is the jail secure enough to allow them that much access?

I have heard of hosting sites selling "virtual dedicated servers" by giving someone root access to a jail, so I'm thinking jails are fairly secure. Anyone with experience in this that can give me advice?

Thanks,
Chris