CDMA and GPRS support

jan.muenther at nruns.com jan.muenther at nruns.com
Fri Jan 2 01:14:55 PST 2004

Hi
> Would you please advise where I can find a hardware compatibility list for
> GPRS and CDMA modems (or just a recommended hardware supplier/make/model(s))
> for FreeBSD?

being .de based, I don't know much about CDMA apart from how it works - as
of GPRS/GSM however, I can tell you that it's fully transparently usable if
you have a phone with a builtin softmodem that supports the AT command set
and the relevant GPRS extensions.

With both my Siemens phones I can simply set different APNs with single AT
commands and getting the link itself up is a matter of normal PPP dialing
(number *99#). Siemens provides an excellent document containing all the
supported AT commands and their syntax - you can basically control the
entire phone through them. As of the connection to the PC, the usual data
cables do the job, I never bothered to f*ck around with IrDA or the like.
So, for me it's cu and userland ppp. Works like a charm.

Cheers, J.