using multiple isc-dhcp servers?

Tillman Hodgson tillman at seekingfire.com
Thu Jan 1 14:10:23 PST 2004

On Thu, Jan 01, 2004 at 05:06:23PM -0500, stan wrote:
> I have set up the isc-dhcp port on 2 machines. and it is serving addresses,
> but I notice that whichever machine gives the lease is the only one that
> records the lease in it's leases file.
>
> This seems like a problem.

Yes, I imagine it is ;-)

> How can I configure this package to avoid this problem?

You shouldn't have more than one DHCP server per broadcast domain
(unless you implement some sort of database sharing logic between them).
Because clients keep their leases for a period of time even if the DHCP
server dies, this isn't a service that typically calls for redundancy.

-T

--
"Nostalgia is a seductive liar."
	- George W. Ball