netgraph.ko vs. compiled in.

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Thu Jan 1 12:02:46 PST 2004

Matthew Seaman wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 01, 2004 at 02:38:09PM -0500, Bill Moran wrote:
>
>>If I build a kernel with "options netgraph", in order to use mpd,
>>netgraph.ko
>>is still loaded at boot (with an error) but mpd does not work.
>
> You can't simultaneously load a .ko and have the same code compiled
> into the kernel.

_I_ know that.  Tell it to whatever part of the system is trying to
load the kld.

I'm not saying that being unable to load a kld for a service that's
already compiled in is an error.  I'm saying the fact that mpd tries
to load the kld when it's already compiled in is the error.

>>If I build the kernel without netgraph, netgraph.ko loads, along with other
>>netgraph modules required for PPTP, and mpd works like a charm.
>>
>>What I haven't tried yet, is compiling a kernel with all the options for all
>>the netgraph modules I'll need compiled in to see if that works.
>
> It's generally best either to kldload all of the netgraph modules you
> require for this purpose or to compile them all into the kernel.  One
> way, or the other, but not a mixture of both.

I would go beyond "generally best" and straight into "it doesn't work".

My question is, "Is this fact documented somewhere, and I didn't see it?"
Because, if it's not, I'm going to put together a doc patch and file a PR.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies