toshiba satellite

Tsu-Fan Cheng tscheng at ic.sunysb.edu
Sun Feb 29 17:42:29 PST 2004

Hi BSD babys, I am installing freebsd4.9 on toshiba satellite laptop and I
have 2 problems, the first one is X-window can't start up, the vedio
controller is "S3 Savage 4", which according to xf86config is not
supported. Here is the log file output:
"........
(II) VGA(0): Not using mode "320x240" (no clock available for mode)
(EE) VGA(0): Virtual height (0) is too small for the hardware (min 1)
(II) UnloadModule: "vga"
(II) UnloadModule: "vgahw"
(II) Unloading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/libvgahw.a
(II) UnloadModule: "int10"
(II) Unloading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/libint10.a
(EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.
"
I tried some other vedio choices but failed as well.

The second is that I also install windows 2000 in the same hard drive,
after finishing installing freebsd, I can't choose which one to boot, it's
always freebsd, even after I install freebsd boot manager, what should I
do now to solve these?  many thanks!

Best Regards, :-)

Tsu-Fan Cheng [=BEG=AF=AA=A6|] (BIG5)
SUNY at Stony Brook