Automount pcmcia flash reader?

Sara Trice sara at chainmailconnection.com
Sun Feb 29 15:37:16 PST 2004

Running freeBSD 4.9.  I have a 4-in-1 pcmcia flash memory reader from
CompUSA, and managed to get it to work with my laptop. I have been playing
around with it and found this page:

http://www.daemonnews.org/200202/automounting.html

Automounting is new to me, so I tried following the steps; I got all the
way through step 2, 'configuring mount', so I can now just type:

mount /camera

and it will mount the card. (Called it camera for my own personal
reference.) So this is in my /etc/fstab:

/dev/ad8s1       /camera     msdos   rw,noauto               0       0

Now, trying to get through step 3, configuring automount. I followed the
instructions to add these to my rc.conf:

portmap_enable=YES
amd_enable=YES
amd_flags="-a /.amd_mnt -l syslog /host /etc/amd.map"

Created the /.amd_mnt directory, and added this to my amd.map:

localhost/camera		type:=program;fs:=/camera;\
			mount:="/sbin/mount mount /camera";\
			unmount:="/sbin/umount umount /camera"

But according to the page, it seems it should work after this; it does,
however, not. I have a symlink that I can't remove that is:
/host/localhost/camera --> /camera

But accessing either directory does not result in the card being automounted.

I don't have an amd.conf. Should I, and if so, what should be in it?

~Sara~