question on cut/paste in Gnome.

Gary Kline kline at thought.org
Sun Feb 29 12:23:37 PST 2004

On Sun, Feb 29, 2004 at 10:38:54AM +0000, Matthew Seaman wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 28, 2004 at 07:31:56PM -0800, Gary Kline wrote:
> > 	I've got Gnome set up as my default GUI on my new DNS
> > 	server.  (Seems much improved over the older RH8 version.)
> > 	But how do I paste things?  Clicking with first/third mouse
> > 	buttons designate the string or area I want; it should be in
> > 	the buffer.  But the middle button (oR first&third) buttons
> > 	don't paste.
> >
> > 	The right mouse button pops up small rectange with a "Paste"
> > 	area, but this doesn't work.
>
> If it doesn't work the X-windows way, then it probably works more like
> the way it does in windows: use the left mouse button to select the
> text, then right click to get a popup menu which should have 'cut' and
> 'copy' entries.  Select whicher you require.  Then left click to move
> the cursor to the insert point, right click to bring up the menu and
> select paste.
>
> You may also find that you can select the area, then left mouse down
> on the selection and drag to where you want it to go.  (Which is a
> feature of OpenOffice that I personally hate because I want left mouse
> to *always* select text.)
>
> It's possible that you may have difficulty cut'n'pasting between
> applications that use different paradigms -- there may be more than
> one cut-buffer under the hood as well.

	Ah, so that's how OO 'paste' works.   :-)  (I've stumbled around
	with the program learning to move/copy/paste.  My fingers are
	stuck in X-window mode... .)

	In Gnome, things highlight with a swipe or left-right click.
	I've used the right-click popup -> Paste.  I was copying a
	command from one xterm to another.  Nada.  I also tried copying
	a few paragraphs of text across files in diff't xterms.  SAme
	joy: none.

	(Hard to believe that Gnome wouldn't have built in the option...
	but then: Oh *well*).

	thanks!

	gary

--