keybell off in rc.conf disables my keyboard in 5.1 release (solved)

Oliver Fuchs oliverfuchs at onlinehome.de
Sun Feb 29 08:13:11 PST 2004

On Wed, 14 Jan 2004, Oliver Fuchs wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I installed FreeBSD 5.1 with a new kernel (here I only added
> options VGA_WIDTH90).
> I want do disable the PC's internal beep, so I added from man rc.conf this
> to rc.conf:
>
> keybell="off".
>
> After rebooting I was not able to type in anything with my keyboard at the
> login - there was absolutely no funtionality (it was dead).
> Deleting the keybell entry in my rc.conf (via the livesystem CD and the
> option FIxIt) made the keyboard work again.
> Can someone point me to the solution of this problem or to some
> documentation because I am not able to find anything helpfull.

I found the reason why my keyboard did not work correctly all the time (most
of the time it happend while rebooting or rebooting from WindowsME that is
also installed on my PC). I added

options 	BROKEN_KEYBOARD_RESET

to my kernel-configuration file and till then it works great.

Oliver
--
... don't touch the bang bang fruit