setting up a printer - best method?

Aaron Peterson aaron at alpete.com
Fri Feb 27 21:46:01 PST 2004

I've read the handbook on setting up bsd style printers, and i've used
cups some before i started using freebsd.  the bsd style printing
mechanism looks complicated to me, i didn't have consistent success with
cups.  i'm interested in what method is generally the easiest and what
method is the best. the two printers i will deal with most are a parallel
port panasonic laser printer i have at home that i would like to set up as
a shared network printer (shared through my bsd box with other bsd boxes
and a windows XP laptop) so all my home computers can use it, and a big
lexmark laser printer at work that is networked (has an ethernet card in
the printer).  would somebody with experience setting up printing for bsd
machines give me some direction, suggestions, or pointers? (links to
useful articles-howtos are always welcome)  and perhaps, what is outlined
in the handbook is the best way to go.  i just wanted to ask.

aaron