ar, nm not reading library files (libz, etc.)

clayton rollins crollins666 at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 27 19:29:35 PST 2004

Hi List,

I've been having problems with ar and nm not being able
to use the library files installed on my system, though
executables created with them seem to work fine.
libz is not the only library this happens with, just using
it as an example.

The output:
>ar -t /usr/lib/libz.so.2
/usr/libexec/elf/ar: /usr/lib/libz.so.2: File format not recognized
>nm /usr/lib/libz.so.2
/usr/libexec/elf/nm: /usr/lib/libz.so.2: no symbols

The problem was first noticed after a massive round
of portupgrading (due to the threading change).
Rebuilding the system with RELENG_4_9 as of today
did not fix the issue.

Any ideas?

Regards,
Clayton Rollins

PS. please be sure to CC me, as I only receive the
list in digest form.