SoundBlaster 16 PnP ISA Card on 5.1

Lowell Gilbert freebsd-questions-local at be-well.ilk.org
Fri Feb 27 15:09:08 PST 2004

Philippe Vachon <phirkel at sympatico.ca> writes:

> I just subscribed to the list, but I've been using FreeBSD on and off
> for a few months now. There has, however, been one thing lacking from
> my FreeBSD setup and that is the ability to play sound!

Do bear in mind that you are running an outdated version of an "early
adopter's" release of the OS.

> I followed the directions in the handbook (namely adding the line to
> load the snd_ab16.ko kernel module to loader.conf) and adjusted the

Nowhere in the handbook is the snd_sb16.ko module even mentioned.
Did you try just loading the snd_pcm.ko module?

> volume. The sound, when it does play, is compressed -- i.e. runs at 10
> times the speed it should. I can't even play any audio with XMMS.

That's not what "compressed" normally means in relation to audio.
What did you use to play audio besides xmms?
Did something different happen when you used xmms, or was that just
awkward phrasing?

> Anybody have any ideas? It's a Creative SoundBlaster 16 PnP ISA card
> (model CT4180), and it's in a PIII450 box with an ASUS P2BF
> motherboard. Any help will be appreciated.

I have such a card (probably not *quite* the same model) in my -STABLE
box...