Boot and MBR.

Jud judmarc at fastmail.fm
Fri Feb 27 09:58:39 PST 2004

On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 08:06:43 -0900, "Mark Weisman" <mark at mystic1.net>
said:
> I've installed GAG, and that is a really easy setup! It identified all
> the partitions, and what was in them, stepped me through the process of
> copying the manager to the disk and everything, kudos for the
> recommendation! When I select to boot to the WindowsXP partition, it
> come to a black screen with red squares in a diagonal line across the
> screen, not sure but it doesn't look good. Have to hit reset on the box
> to get out, the three finger salute doesn't work. I see the cursor
> blinking in the upper left corner, yet no operating system. Any ideas?

First,

post.
top
don't
Please

Makes things harder to read in sequence.  :)

Second, you need to fix your WinXP installation.  Boot from the WinXP CD
and select to repair your installation.  Try the automatic repair first.
If that doesn't work, select the repair console and use the 'fixboot' and
'fixmbr' commands.  If those don't work, boot from a Win9x
emergency/system floppy and use fdisk's 'fdisk /mbr' command.  Then
reinstall the FreeBSD MBR.  If you want to continue to use GAG, select
the 'normal' MBR for FreeBSD rather than the FreeBSD bootloader.
Finally, you will have to redo your GAG configuration, or if your system
doesn't boot into GAG, reinstall it.

Jud