SMP-kernel (5.2.1) - really two CPUs active?

a at jenisch.at a at jenisch.at
Fri Feb 27 08:18:17 PST 2004

Upon setting up a machine with HT-CPU (P4 2.6GHz) I wonder if there's
any way to display the actual workload on the virtual CPUs.

First of all, here's what my /var/log/messages says:

Feb 27 15:47:50 beastie kernel: CPU: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.60GHz (2593.68-MHz 686-class CPU)
Feb 27 15:47:50 beastie kernel: Origin = "GenuineIntel"  Id = 0xf29  Stepping = 9
Feb 27 15:47:50 beastie kernel: Features=0xbfebfbff<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,APIC,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA,CMOV,PAT,PSE36,CLFLUSH,DTS,ACPI,MMX,FXSR,SSE,
SSE2,SS,HTT,TM,PBE>
Feb 27 15:47:50 beastie kernel: Hyperthreading: 2 logical CPUs

so to my understanding there should be two CPUs available.

However neither "top" nor "systat" show any indication of more than
one CPU.

Please note that I've got

options         SMP             # Symmetric MultiProcessor Kernel
device          apic            # I/O APIC

in my kernel - and don't have "I386_CPU" in my kernel config file.

As a test I've used two instances of "cpuburn" which should, upon
availability of two cpus, distribute among them (i.e. one cpuburn
process per cpu) but again top doesn't show that there's more than one
cpu.

Here are my questions:

o) Why does /var/log/message flag "2 CPUs" whereas "top" and other
tools show only one?

o) Any tools to see the actual load on the two virtual CPUs?

TIA for your help,
-ewald