Boot and MBR.

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Fri Feb 27 04:00:46 PST 2004

On Thu, Feb 26, 2004 at 01:11:28PM -0900, Mark Weisman wrote:

> The second question I have, is can I put the command startx into my
> rc.conf file to have it boot directly into the x-server? Any help on
> these two would be awesome. Thanks.

Other people have described how you can arrange for startx to be run
automatically whenever anyone logs into your system console -- however
I'm guessing that isn't exactly what you mean.

If you want to set up a system with a graphical login screen, check
out xdm(1) --- you can enable that by editing the file /etc/ttys and
changing the line:

    ttyv8   "/usr/X11R6/bin/xdm -nodaemon"  xterm   off  secure

to:

    ttyv8   "/usr/X11R6/bin/xdm -nodaemon"  xterm   on  secure

xdm(8) is the 'X Display Manager' -- the default look is not amazingly
pretty, but you can customise it a bit to make it look nicer:
investigate the files in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm.

Note that is you use xdm(8), when you log in the ${HOME}/.xsession
script will be run to populate your desktop and start up a window
manager, rather than the ${HOME}/.xinitrc script that's run by startx.
The two scripts have very similar effects, and you can probably get
away with copying one to the other initially.

If you're a Gnome user, there's a workalike program gdm(8) you might
want to use instead, and I believe the KDE stuff comes with (surprise,
surprise) kdm(8).  Their documentation should tell you exactly what
you need to put into /etc/ttys in order to substitute them for xdm(8).

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way