Recovering Data from a reformatted drive

Charles Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Thu Feb 26 13:43:20 PST 2004

On Feb 27, 2004, at 12:27 AM, Benjamin P. Keating wrote:
> I have a hard drive that had lots of important data on it. It was
> reformatted and I have no backups (lesson learned). It was a ccd
> mirror of two 100gig drives. Once the reformat of this ccd completed
> the machine was shut down to prevent writing to this disk even more
> so.

By this you mean, you used ccd to reformat the drive as part of a newly
created RAID-1 mirror?

If you just newfs'ed the disk, most of the data blocks will still be
intact and can be recovered (to some extent).  However, if you did
create a RAID filesystem on the disk, you are out of luck.  The process
of creating a RAID-1 or -5 volume involves syncronizing all of the
disks, which will overwrite every sector on the drive.

I'm sorry that you lost data.

--
-Chuck