portsdb: Warning: Duplicate INDEX entry

Uwe Doering gemini at geminix.org
Thu Feb 26 03:41:57 PST 2004

Bernard El-Hagin wrote:
> Uwe Doering wrote:
>>Bernard El-Hagin wrote:
>>>
>>>Wow, that really sucks, since I've had zero luck updating to 5.2 the two
>>>times I tried, and going with 4.9 from 5.1R means a reinstall, rather
>>>than an upgrade (I'm led to believe).
>>
>>If you have the OS sources installed you could selectively upgrade the
>>source files of make(1) via cvsup(1) and just install it.  No need to
>>upgrade the whole OS only because make(1) got an additional command line
>>option.  We recently did this for our 4.5 based systems.
>
> Could you please explain how that's done? I've never selectively
> upgraded the source and I'm afraid of screwing something up.

If you haven't already done so, install the port 'cvsup', preferably the
precompiled package in order to avoid having to install Modula (which
'cvsup' is written in).

Then you need an appropriate supfile, '/etc/cvsup-src-5.2' in this
example, which should look like this:

--------------------- cut here ------------------------
*default  host=cvsup.FreeBSD.org
*default  base=/usr
*default  prefix=/usr
*default  release=cvs
*default  tag=RELENG_5_2
*default  delete use-rel-suffix

src-all
--------------------- cut here ------------------------

Now do

   cvsup -g -i src/usr.bin/make /etc/cvsup-src-5.2

Once this went through successfully, build and install the new version:

   cd /usr/src/usr.bin/make
   make obj && make depend && make
   make install
   (clean up /usr/obj afterwards if desired)

That's it.  You can selectively upgrade other programs the same way if
necessary, provided of course there are no incompatibilities in the
respective areas between the OS releases.  A look at the CVS commit
comments is always a good idea in this context.

    Uwe
--
Uwe Doering         |  EscapeBox - Managed On-Demand UNIX Servers
gemini at geminix.org  |  http://www.escapebox.net