Running virus scanner on FreeBSD Samba server

Peter Risdon peter at circlesquared.com
Thu Feb 26 02:03:20 PST 2004

Gunnar Flygt wrote:

>Has anyone any experience from running any virus scanners on a FreeBSD
>Samba server? The server is serving mostly MS-workstations, so the
>scanner should be proficient in finding the most common viruses in the
>M$ world.

I use Sophos, because it has Windows and FreeBSD-compatible unix
versions (along with Mac, OS2 and others) distributed on the same CD. It
also includes an smtp virus scanner that works with FreeBSD. You can do
a network installation to the samba fileserver from a Windows
workstation, then do workstation installs on each workstation from the
samba server. Updating thereafter consists of installing updated
definitions (a process which can be automated) or AV engine software
onto the fileserver. These updates then automatically propogate to
workstations, without a reboot with recent versions of Windows. I can
use ssh to update virus definitions remotely and these will be available
immediately to the Windows users.

PWR.