Fetch unable to resolve.

X-Istence xistence at x-istence.com
Wed Feb 25 16:24:20 PST 2004

Danny Pansters wrote:
> On Thursday 26 February 2004 01:11, X-Istence wrote:
>
>>Hello,
>>

>>I am having problems with fetch and ftp, being unable to resolve any DNS
>>related matters. Like hostnames and stuff.
>>
>>However, nslookup, dig, and those tools still work just fine, i am
>>wondering what the problem could be. See output below.
>>
>>If you need any other info, please let me know, the owner is thinking of
>>having it reinstalled by the data center, but i would like to get to the
>>bottom of this.
>>
>>Sequence of event in the last 4 days:
>>
>>1. tinydns installed, setup, and totally ready
>>2. tinydns data copied to a  new server, deamontools, tinydns and its
>>stuff uninstalled
>>3. Nothing done for a day or two
>

> You also killed any tinydns/supervise processes?

Yes, tinydns is not found on the server anymore, just dnscache,
deamontools is also still there. dnscache was going to be used for the
qmail mail server to ease up dns lookups.

>>4. Login to setup a mail server, fetch is unable to retrieve ports
>>5. Try to trouble shoot
>>6. No means available to get it to work, and here i am.
>

> <SNIP>
>
> So, are you perhaps still using your localhost or your box' IP (former) host
> to resolve?, e.g. what's in /etc/resolv/conf? I reckon it should use some
> upstream (your other?) nameserver now.

Output of cat /etc/resolv.conf was posted:

charon# cat /etc/resolv.conf
nameserver 69.56.211.146

On localhost i installed dnscache to see if that would remedy the
problem. All it has done is speed up DNS queries something i was going
to add when i was going to compile adn install qMail anyways.