upgrade problem

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Wed Feb 25 14:20:00 PST 2004

On Wed, Feb 25, 2004 at 02:04:20PM +0000, Jim McIver wrote:
> Trying to upgrade from Freebsd 4.6 to 4.9...haven't got it working yet,
> but I am getting strange message from the machine.
>
> newsyslog: illegal flag in config file -- N
>
> Any idea where this is coming from?

You seem to be running an older version of newsyslog(8) with the
/etc/newsyslog.conf file from a more recent version.  The 'N' flag
(meaning don't try and send a signal to any process) was added to
RELENG_4 newsyslog on 4th May 2003.

This suggests that your attempt to upgrade has failed to update all of
the standard system programs -- you'll probably find it easiest to do
a 4.6 to 4.9 upgrade by cvsup(1)ing the latest RELENG_4_9 sources, and
then doing a full buildworld, buildkernel, installkernel, installworld
cycle as detailed in /usr/src/UPDATING and the handbook at:

    http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/cutting-edge.html

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way