FireFox/Bird + Java + Root

Vincent Vandalon vince at lan.xs4all.nl
Wed Feb 25 10:17:52 PST 2004

Hi all,

i am trying to get java working under firefox for a while. Before you
think here's another dude that can't read the FAQ.  I did read em,
firefox and the plugin are both gcc3.2 compiled, i made a ln -s and did
not copy the libjavaplugin_oji.so. The problem occurs under
0.7(firebird) and 0.8 firefox.

Java even works perfect when i run FireFox(0.8 and Firebird 0.7) as
ROOT. But i do not want to run firefox as root(duh). So i thought hmm it
will be an acces-rights issue(and not an incompatible plugin(as in
gcc3.2)). Also flash and PDF plugins run flawless.

First i've checked the links(ln -s) i created to libjavaplugin_oji.so...
no that file has sufficient acces rights(rwxr-xr-x)
Second I've checked the pluginreg.db and it has (-rw-r--r-- but the user
owns it(thus not root)
Furthermore i checked the whole /usr/home/vince/.phoenix dir and
everything is owned by the user.

What am I missing? I feel it is something very simple, but i have no
more inspiration... Hope somebody knows what i am missing

Regards,

Vincent