4.9 stable release installation probs on x86

AdamWilson at Boiseoffice.com AdamWilson at Boiseoffice.com
Wed Feb 25 09:11:18 PST 2004

I reinstalled with the standard MBR and I have the
same thing, although there is no boot manager after the
install.  The machine still cycles between the BIOS, nothing
on the screen, and then back to the BIOS, over and over.  I
have gone into the BIOS and ensured that it is booting from
the hard disk.  I have even hit F12 (instead of F1 to go into
the BIOS) and selected the hard disc as the boot source to
be sure it is booting from there.

Here are the exact steps I followed for the install of the
mini.iso disc.

1)  skipped kernel config (no conflicts)
2)  selected standard install
3)  selected to use all of the disc for FreeBSD
4)  installed standard MBR
5)  selected auto partition of the UNIX file system
6)  selected average user, binaries and docs only for install
7)  selected no to FreeBSD ports collection
8)  post install (after it said installation was a success)
    I said no to all, but set my root password.

Then I rebooted and it cycles between the BIOS over and over.

Hugh suggested toggling DMA, Ultra-DMA or PIO settings for
the discs in the BIOS, but I can't find those anywhere in
the device settings.

I think I said before that it was a Pentium III, but I double
checked and it's actually a Pentium IV, 1.6 GHz, 512 meg of
ram, 40 gig hard drive.

Thanks,
Adam Wilson