make world

RYAN vAN GINNEKEN rmvg at shaw.ca
Wed Feb 25 02:57:30 PST 2004

On Wed, Feb 25, 2004 at 02:16:45AM -0700, RYAN vAN GINNEKEN wrote:

[...]
> when i try to ping google.ca i get
> cannot resolve google.ca  :host name lookup failure
>
> doing an ifconfig i get no inet or subnet just the active status
>
> my firewall stuff in dmesg looks like this
>
> IP packet filtering initialized, divert enabled, rule-based forwarding
> enabled, default to deny, logging limited to 100 packets/entry by default
>
> seems like a firewall problem not getting anything unusual in my
> /var/log/messages

What's the contents of /etc/resolv.conf? Have you got named running?
What's the output of "ipfw show"? You haven't given us enough
information to help us help you.
--
Jonathan Chen <jonc at chen.org.nz>

Firstly thanks for your reply, contents of /etc/resolv.conf are as follows.

search computerking.ca
nameserver 192.168.0.202
nameserver 24.71.223.144
nameserver 24.71.223.144

If i am not mistaken my server (192.168.0.202 or computerking.ca) that
runs FreeBSD as well provides that information through the dhcpd?  I do
not have named running on that machine but instead on the fore mentioned
server.  ipfw show outputs the following line what the ???

65535  0  0  deny ip from any to any

that doesn't look right does it???
can you help me fix this???

On Wed, Feb 25, 2004 at 02:16:45AM -0700, RYAN vAN GINNEKEN wrote:

when i ping i get no route to host

 >I'm not aware how you could network without an ip address and subnet
 >mask. What's the exact output of ifconfig? What is your /etc/rc.conf?
 >Specifically, what lines are there of the form:

 >ifconfig_[interface name]="inet [ip address] netmask [subnet mask]"

 >and

 >defaultrouter="[router address]"

 >Have you tried using ifconfig to give an ip address to your >interface(s)?

 >PWR

the ifconfig does not give me any ipadresses that is what puzzles me.
The rc.conf stuff is ok too, and it worked before the make world i have
not changed it. something to do with ipfw it think but i do not know
much about that or if it is even the problem.